The Best Worm Drive Saws for the Money!
Circular Saws Buying Guide
Let’s take a look at the factors that should be influencing your purchasing decision.
1. Buy From A Reputable Manufacturer
Time and time again people have made the wrong choice when it comes to circular saws. Either they buy a cheap, no-name brand and it breaks or they don’t do their research to find the best product. In today’s market, the best makers of reputable circular saws are Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, and Skil. These are all very good brand names to buy from.
2. Get A Good Warranty
Because circular saws are put under all kinds of wear and tear, it’s best to get one that has a solid warranty. This will keep you financially safe from defects and ensure that if anything breaks under the warranty period you can get it replaced for free. All of the best manufacturers of circular saws like Milwaukee already come with a warranty because they know that their products are dependable. But, as with everything, it’s better safe than sorry. Get a good warranty.
3. Read The Amazon Reviews To Check For Product Defects
As always, in the marketplace there will be certain products that have defects. It’s best to air on the side of caution when it comes to buying a circular saw. Check the reviews to make sure the product you’re looking at is really worth your hard earned money. Amazon reviews can give you an accurate description of the actual quality of the product. Look for a saw with at least 4 stars.
4. In-line Or Worm Drive?
Circular saws generally come in two types of designs. In-line or worm drive.
An in-line saw is the traditional type of circular saw. These have been around for many years and the art of making them has been nearly perfected by companies like DeWalt and Milwaukee.
A worm drive saw is better suited for more extreme, heavy duty applications. Worm drive motors run parallel to the saw blades and they use gears to increase the power of the saw. These kinds of saws are usually reserved for more intense applications, more like a chop saw. They are also more expensive than in-line saws.
5. Cordless Or Corded?
If you’ll be working close to an outlet, a corded saw will give you the most even distribution of power to the blade. Corded saws are ideal for places like garages where an outlet is readily available.
Places you’re working that don’t have an outlet available are better suited for the cordless variety. As long as you keep the batteries charged up, most cordless circular saws will be valuable tools in a work setting. Often times, the battery and charger are sold separately.
6. Get The Right Blade Capacity And Blades For Your Projects
The most common blade diameter is 7 1/4″. Most blades that are 6″ or bigger can cut through 2″ diameter lumber using a single pass. Smaller capacity saws that have smaller blades are generally easy to control. As far as blade types go, you can choose from many types including:
- Steel blades
- High speed steel blades
- Carbide blades
- Tile-cutting blades
- Masonry blades
DeWalt DWS535 7 1/4-Inch Worm Drive Circular Saw Review
Looking for heavy duty power in a corded, compact unit? Then you need to be looking into the purchase of a worm drive saw like this one by DeWalt. DeWalt has risen above and beyond the competition in the business of circular saws. This saw is lightweight, strong, and powerful. The engine can reach a maximum RPM of 4,800 and the blade has a bevel capacity of 53 degrees, making this one of the most capable saws on the market. Featuring top accessible spindle locking, it makes changing blades incredibly easy.
One of the greatest things about this saw is the limited three year warranty, 90 day money back guarantee with no questions asked, and a one year free service contract. This warranty structure is giving customers the financial assurance they need to make the purchase, and the confidence that comes with it to tackle the toughest jobs at the work site.
While it’s not the lightest choice in circular saws, this model will impress you with its durability. Coupled with a strong magnesium construction, this is sure to become one of your favorite tools. The saw hook is equally impressive, accepting material up to 2 1/2″ wide!
You can trust the name DeWalt, and in case you haven’t heard or are new to the circular saw market, this is one of the highest quality companies for circular saws in the world.
- Worm Drive Saw For More Power Than An In-Line Traditional
- Durable Magnesium Construction
- Wide Saw Hook For Materials Up To 2 1/2″ Wide
- Toughcord Safety Feature
- 13.8 Pounds Total Weight
- Bevel Up To 53 Degrees
- 4,800 RPM Motor Speed
DEWALT DWS535 Pros:
- Good power – The amount of power within the DEWALT DWS535 is unmatched by many other models with similar features.
- Very durable – One reviewer noted that even after dropping the DEWALT DWS535 it still worked like brand new. One thing you’ll notice about this saw is that it’s very durable, you can drop it and have very little chance of having bent metal. Dewalt truely is quality product. Just see how well they did in our cordless hammer drill reviews article.
- Easy to use – This circular saw is made with the experienced and the beginner in mind. Reviewers noted that they were shocked just how quick it was to learn how to use the machine.
- Upkeep is easy – All circular saws require some upkeep, the DEWALT DWS535 has very small upkeep requirements.
- Has sight lines – The DEWALT DWS535 has great sight lines that allow you to make the most accurate cut possible. The line it makes it also very easy to follow.
- Includes a depth gauge – The DEWALT DWS535 features a depth gauge which allows you to quickly and accurately change the depth of cut. This is super important for many people using this saw.
- Amazingly quiet – Many reviewers noted that the DEWALT DWS535 is so quiet that many times they assumed it wasn’t on.
- Cuts great – One reviewer said that the DEWALT DWS535 cuts through with a breeze. It can cut through any kind of material. This saw even cuts through tough concrete with ease.
- Sturdy cord – The cord of this circular saw is very sturdy and will last for a long time because of what is it made of and how long it is. It’s really difficult to cut the cord on this saw. The Toughcord protection does a great job of keeping it like new.
- Solid product – One reviewer said that the DEWALT DWS535 is a little heavy but that proves that the piece is actually a very solid product that will last for a long time.
- People have reported using this saw to extreme degrees and when the work is done, it still works like the day they bought it.
This DeWalt saw has continually outdone the competition and even when pitted against other saws in it’s class, this saw clearly proves itself as the winner.
DEWALT DWS535 Cons:
- More bulky – When comparing the DEWALT DWS535 to a standard circular saw, it is more bulky. This was a problem to some but to many it proved that the saw was worth the price.
- No hard case available – With such a fine piece of equipment, there is no case for it available currently.
- Heavy – With a total weight of 13.8 pounds, this is not the lightest choice in circular saws. Lighter operators may feel fatigued with all day use.
- The blade wrench isn’t bright yellow – Some people complain of losing the wrench in the field because it’s not brightly colored.